I wrote the following post in July of 2012, but for some reason which I fail to remember, never actually published it and never kept up with my plan to blog about Social Justice. A few days ago, I remembered that idea I once had and thought, why don't I do it? Start a blog about what Justice looks like to me. Why not? So, here goes something that may last years, weeks, or only a day. I hope you get something from my ramblings, whoever you are.
July 8, 2012:
"Then the Lord will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' [...] 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'"
-Matthew 25: 34-36, 40 (New International Version)
On June 15, 2011, I woke up at 2 am, drove for two hours, said goodbye to my family, got on a plane, and met 9 strangers in Houston, Texas. The next day, those new friends and I boarded yet another plane, this time headed for Tegucigalpa, Honduras. Fast-forward two weeks, and I was saying goodbye to a beautiful country and good friends, and pondering what I wanted my life to look like. Those two weeks of service and sacrifice had made a deeply profound impact on my life. Not only had they provided me with new memories, but they opened up my heart to the idea of social justice. I had my eyes opened to just a few of the tragic difficulties of this world, and the desire to help was so strong.
This blog will be a place for me to share my ideas, experiences, and hopes related to justice, poverty, and loving others. I hope you will join me on this journey as I seek to let God love through me.
No comments:
Post a Comment